Tuesday, July 7, 2009

First impression of Maine

WHEN I first heard of Maine as a state, I could not comprehend of its people and development socially, culturally and economically, as I have found it to be, because for years I was only hearing about other states.

The facts I was collecting about this state did not lead me to conclude of such view I have now formed, but rather of a region not only isolated, but also underdeveloped near the Canadian border.

However, on Saturday and later Sunday and Monday, the ideas were washed out as I and my colleagues who are on a USAID/University of Maine exchange program had opportunity to move around, see what actually Maine University and the people have. 

What has moved me most about the state and its people, is way environmental conservations is observed, making the state greenish, with many kind of trees, flowers and land covered with well cut and put grass.

I have been impressed by the way people of Maine keep the natural vegetation f their area and ensure cleanliness all along their surroundings. Their kindness and humility to visitors such as ourselves is a value that it will take long, if at all, for me to forget.

I was also particularly happy to have the honor to be the first (or the first two, with Monica Luwondo) to receive a word 'karibu', from The Director, Office of Research and Sponsored Programs, Mike Hastings and Michael Socolow from Department of Communication and Journalism at The University of Maine at the Bangor airport, as we were the first to disembark from the plane, the afternoon when it was raining.

Type of houses in Maine are impressive, a proper use of wood and furthermore treasure of cultural values and traditional houses, some being built in the 1800s. I enjoyed the way a university professor prefers living in a village, in such a house, with periodical restructuring.

No comments:

Post a Comment