Tuesday, July 7, 2009

First impressions of Maine

I was excited when they announced the landing of our plane to Bangor airport because the fatigue was killing me and I tried to figure out how Maine looks like.
During the driving from the airport to Maine, my mind was racing like crazy with many mental pictures of Maine. 
When I saw the forests and the river, I thought the city could be smaller as one of the cities in the rural areas of Tanzania.

I kept thinking of whether it could be  full of animals, I got scared to think if it had wild animals and snakes. I thought USAID brought us to one of the villages to learn intensively without being destructed or tempted to go to various places. 
When I was still in deep thoughts, I heard Mike saying, we are approaching Maine, my eyes grew big to see the city well built, the houses impressed me, a lot. I wondered as to why houses were painted in white or grey, not like the way we do without uniformity.
Observing the houses we also noticed that they are of the same design, or look much a like. We asked if they were designed by the same construction company.
I admired the way drivers cared for other road users, by slowing down and allow them to pass. I came to understand as to why my American friend in Tanzania used to complain on how our drivers drive.
When still admiring the roads, cars and drivers, I was shocked by Mike's statement saying there are black bears! I quickly asked if they are everywhere, by then he was heeding to the University's campus, he said Yes, can't you see that big black bear over there? looking up fearfully I just saw a man made black bear! 
Approaching the university's gate, my eyes widen up to see how big the university is. We asked on its capacity, surprisingly we heard about 10,000!  thrice as much to my former university.
The doors system made me to admire more, I said this is what I just wanted to see, a higher level of application of science and technology.
When the room was opened, and saw different facilities such as a nice tv screen, dinning table, cooker, refrigerator I sworn to my heart not to say no if asked to stay longer praying for miracle to happen so as I can be enrolled as a student for Master Degree.
Calling home I shouted "I am in safe hands" I found a new family, all people here are friends, working friendly and professionally. My young sister Betty laughed at me saying I know you are fond of Americans, Hook One so that we can have a new place to visit.
Meeting Simon Berege who is my former lecturer next day, I could not hesitate to ask him on whether Tumaini University could be turned to Maine in capacity and facilities. 
Truly Maine University challenged me in so many ways, I found myself saying though they did not put a mop I will do the cleaning! as I am in love with the place!
Going for meals made me sigh telling myself "Rachel make sure you don't turn into a small elephant, remember it won't be good for your broad casting"!Ends

No comments:

Post a Comment