Monday, July 13, 2009

Wow what a great experience!

I tried to figure out  what kind of hosts families will be, it troubled me a little bit to think of spending two nights with people I know nothing.

Will these people be of our match, will we enjoy being with them, these questions and many others were flashing into my head now and then.

One of the thing that I was too much worried about was getting closer to dogs as I knew for sure are considered to be pattern parcel of American families and culture.

As Paul Grosswiller drove towards to our hosting family, my heart lost the beats,  believe me It was pumping harder, I thought my neighbors could notice it, but this wasn't the case.

What comforted me much was the fact that I was not alone, I was with Monica, whom I do consider as one of wiser women journalists.

So being with Monica, cooled me down, along with us my former lecturer Simon Berege was there, which made me gain confidence, in case of changing mind in staying with  a host family, I could easily tell him to tell Paul in a more polite manner.

When we reached our hosting family comprised by Laura and Roggers together with their wonderful son Micah, my heart filled with joy. This lady is one of the charming ladies in the global.

She made us feel home.  Surprisingly she threw a party for us, that made us have a chance to meet a couple of her friends and co workers.

Inspite of that, she and her friends, prepared different kinds of foods one of them being Malaysian food, which reminded me of 2006 when I visited Kuala Lumpur under Laussanne Young Leaders Scholarship. Truly I enjoyed the meals.

On top of it, their dog Marley is the one of the best dogs I ever met, she made me say Yes to what God created, for the first time I found myself saying yes my Heavenly Father you created good creatures for us to enjoy.

Laura dedicated her time for us, she took us to shop, she also surprised us in many ways. I tell you shopping with me needs much  energy, as I can't drop out my money easily in buying things, I am sensitive to prices and qualities, Laura tolerated me a lot, she offered us about 2 to 3 hours of her time shopping!

After that, Roggers drove us to have dinner beside the river in one of the nice restaurants. It was nice being with them able to get a clear view of the river.

Micah drew much of my attentions, as he selected the dishes I love most, his little jokes made me laugh all the time. It was really great to be in combination of parents and children audience.

On Sunday, I had a chance to attend the mass at Redeemer Lutheran Church, people were really nice, the Pastor of this church, Ellaine was nice to me together with the rest of the congregation.

Among the congregation was this family paid a visit to rural Tanzania long time a go. They made me laugh when they told me, one time, asked people to contribute to buy sweets for the kids during Christmas Eve.

Unfortunately people did not understand well the message, as they saw the sweets which were already offered by other people for children in the small baskets that children were holding when knocking their doors, they took them saying " Asante Sana" meaning thank you so much, that made the children ended up crying because they  lost even the fewer sweets they had.

I realized that those villagers behaved that way due to a language barrier, as many Tanzanians are generous, they misinterpreted the message, because what these kids did was just showing them bags with fewer sweets in them, without explaining what they wanted, so to them they thought of the sweets as Christmas gifts from the kids.

Back home to Laura, I ended up my day by being taught on different television programs, printing issues of my interest.

Roggers helped us in observing how different specimen look like under the microscope. It was really marvelous.

What I can say, getting the right hosts who can accommodate you so well makes a big difference in life, I got the memories to cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment